Wednesday, August 4, 2010

My person

My first post on friendship, came right when I found out that M was coming to visit you were all really supportive.  Since then, M was here visiting for 5 days and we had a blast.  During my vacation the week before last I was with M again for 4 days at her grandparents cottage on Seneca Lake, and it was so much fun I wish we could have stayed longer.  I've been doing more thinking on friendship.

In the 2 years or so M and I have 're-kindled' our friendship from college.  Being on opposite sides of the country was really hard on me to begin with.  I'd had the friends that were far away and it was really hard to keep in touch with them.  We kept our calls to an average of 2 every 3 months, and still sent birthday cards and gifts, etc.  After we got engaged I knew she would be in my bridal party, no questions asked, she's the one who gets me.  When she came home for my wedding she asked me to be her MOH and I was thrilled (she broke off her engagement a few months later).  Our conversations usually last 2hrs.  Mostly we call while one of us is out running errands or at home cooking dinner, cleaning, etc.  Our chats on the phone are every 2-3 weeks again, but we chat on google chat during the day as well.  During our last conversation, she talked about the possibility of her moving here (or to the East Coast in general) next year.  She also said that when the time comes that we do start a family, she's saving a week of vacation to come visit if she hasn't moved yet.  We just talk, about whatever.  There's no struggle, there's no awkwardness, there's no holding back.

The point of this post isn't so much about her, as much as it is about 'my person', the one who gets me, the one who's opinion I want, the one who is always there for me, the one who I can call no matter what, the one who cherishes the same things as me.  My friends are great, but they can't all be 'my person'.  M, she's my person.  The older I get the more I realize how much I need that person to be there for me as well as KC.

Anyone else have a 'person'?  Please tell me I'm not the only one who has 2hr phone conversations with a friend either.  :-)  

P.S.  I should have started off by saying, I love my husband, he is wonderful and he is also 'my person', but girl friendships they're different.

Bonus points to whomever knows the TV show 'my person' is from?  

5 comments:

  1. You're not alone. I have a person too. And it's a girl

    I don't think your husband can be your person. Yes he's there for you and everything but it's just different and I get exactly what you mean!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have my person and she's the best. Our chats can get spread out months at a time but we just pick right up where we left over. There's none of that "What have you been up to?" we can go right into stupid stuff that keeps friends friends. I just hate she is in Chicago and I am in NC!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this. I have a person too - before Grey's "person" we called each other our "hideabody-friend". She came up with it - cuz, ya know "If I ever had to hide a body & no one else could know about it, I'd call you." LMAO - sick, but true. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm afraid I might have to move away from my person next year and that makes me so sad. I know how easy it is to lose touch with someone when you live so far away. I hope that never happens to us. The "my person" thing reminded me a lot of the Friends episode where they talk about "She is your lobster." Totally not the same, but kinda. hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Honestly, I would do anything to have a "person." You are so lucky to have someone like that in your life to turn to for anything you need. It's something a lot of people take for granted. But it's been a very long time since I've had one and I hope to one day have one again.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile!

Have a wonderful day!