Wednesday, July 7, 2010

2nd Sewing Project

My first project was the pillow I made while M was here.  I headed out to the store last weekend for some fabric to start another project or 2.  I have all the pieces cut to make the market tote, but I'm struggle (with making things the right size), so I decided to put it on the back burner for a little and try something smaller.

I opted for a book cover for my Kindle.  I'm using the same fabric as the tote, so don't be surprised when you see it down the road.  I followed this tutorial from Handmade Mommy.

 I started with these two fabrics and put the right sides together:

I traced around the edge of the Kindle cover that I have.

I cut about a 1/2" border around my cut lines

I missed taking pictures of the middle pieces, so head over to Handmade Mommy for those.  For instructions: I took the inner piece and cut it in half.  I folded it so that 1/3 of the 'front' was folded over and pinned it.  I then pinned them to the front piece.

I sewed along the lines that I had drawn on the fabric.

I'm a freak, so I ironed it out again.

I clipped the corners to make it easier to slide on and ironed the seams a little as well. After turning it inside out, it looked like this:

I slide it over the existing cover and this is what I got:

For a new project, I'm happy with the way that it turned out.  I did learn a few things in the process:
  • When they tell you to stay away from stripes, they're serious.  I couldn't resist, I loved this fabric, but as you can tell it's not exactly straight.  Oh well.
  • The fabric is a little see-through on my black cover, so I should have tried some interfacing or a heavier fabric for the top piece.
I can't wait to start go back and work on the tote.  Let me know if you have any other suggestions for a newbie sewer!

* All photos from personal collection.  Tutorial from Handmade Mommy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make me smile!

Have a wonderful day!