So I finally finished my first quilt. Overall, I'm pleased with the results. It certainly has it's quirks and is kind of small, though I imagine it's a great baby quilt.
I followed the tutorial posted on Moda Bake Shop for Pure Baby Boy by Teaginny Designs.
I used thee Fandango by Kate Spain Jelly Roll. I cannot remember the solids though, but I'm pretty sure they were Bella Solids by Moda.
I followed the directions on the post pretty much to the letter. I did add the extra solid colored strip on the back, but found I didn't really need it.
I always have a few lessons learned after a sewing project and this one is no different.
- Don't be afraid to remove some stitches and do it again. If you look close at some of the blocks you can see some of the seams don't line up perfectly (which honestly, really bothers me)
- Stick to solid backings for a while. The backing on this is pieced and when I basted it, it was not straight so the top and bottom pieces are not even. Ah well, live and learn.
- Spray basting is sticky. I really wasn't happy/impressed with the spray for basting the quilt. It was sooooo sticky. When I was doing the binding, my needle ended up covered at the end.
- The edge of the presser foot is definitely bigger than expected, which made the binding a bit more difficult to complete.
- Quilting is lots of work and I need to find a walking foot for the next project.
Overall, I'm calling it a success and a learning opportunity. On to the next one (I may have started it already). All recommendations, suggestions and tips welcomed.