- Gather your supplies!
- Diapers (I used 2 - 36 packs)
- Tall/Center Items (I used some bath wash and bath towels) (and used the wash cloths to make it sturdy in some locations)
- Items to decorate the outside (ribbon, bows)
- Cake Topper (i.e. stuffed animal)
- Baby things to attach (i.e. pacifier, bibs, bibs, carseat toy, wrist rattles, socks, rattle, etc)
- Base for cake (I used a piece of a cardboard box wrapped up)
- Place your 'tall/center' items in the middle and put a rubber band around them. (unfortunately I didn't start taking pictures until after this point, oh well)
- Put another rubber band around the center and put 4-6 diapers staggered slightly under the rubber band. Work your way around in a circle leaving even spacing and overlapping the top and bottom of the last ones when you close the circle. For the base row I did ~10 diapers.
- Repeat for a 2nd and 3rd time on the bottom layer of the cake. The 2nd row has ~12 diapers and the 3rd row ~14. I used a different rubber band around each row to make it a little easier.
- Start with the second layer of the case, repeat step 3. I used ~11 diapers. Add a 2nd row to the second layer ~13 diapers.
- Repeat for the top layer of the cake ~12 diapers. When you get to the top your tall items may not reach all the way, so I stuffed some tissue paper in to make it solid before I could stuff in the cake topper.
- Decorate as desired! I had to use a hot glue gun to get the ends of the ribbon to stay together. I used some white ribbon to tie other items on.
After I took all my pictures and was done, I wasn't a fan of the base I had (a piece of cardboard covered with wrapping paper), so I took it off and put some white paper underneath and then stamped on it, unfortunately no picture. I think my sister came with 2 more decorations afterwards too.
I looked up on etsy and they charge anywhere from $50 - $450 for these! Yikes! (Maybe I should look into selling them!) This cost about ~$75 I think and many of the things were off the registry of the recipient so I was happy that it served multiple functions. There are so many different kinds and different ways to do them. I hope I have a chance to try again sometime!
I had a lot of fun making it and decorating. I would say that overall it took me about 2hrs to complete. I was feeling like I hadn't gotten to do any crafting since Alex's arrival, but now I feel a little bit better after doing this.